[GRASS-user] Re: v.in.ascii

Duccio Rocchini ducciorocchini at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 08:22:19 EDT 2010

First, check your separator and explicitly state it by the fs parameter
e.g. fs=' ' or fs='\t', etc.

If you are using headers make use of skip
e.g.  skip=1 the first line is the header

you could explicitly state what are the columns with x and y
# x=2 explicitly states that x is the second column
# y=3 explicitly states that y is the third column

here is an example:
v.in.ascii input=/your_path/your_file.asc output=name fs=' '
columns='point_id varchar(20), x double precision, y double precision' x=2
y=3 skip=1 --o

here is the input file (example in utm_wgs84 zone 32N)
point_id x y
point1 575225.75 4785221.74
point2 575229.78 4785227.41

etc.

Hope this helps!
Duccio

Dr. Duccio Rocchini, PhD

Edmund Mach Foundation
IASMA Research and Innovation Centre
Environment and Natural Resources Area
GIS and Remote Sensing Unit
Via Mach 1, 38010 San Michele all'Adige (TN) - Italy
Phone +39 0461 615 570
duccio.rocchini at iasma.it
skype: duccio.rocchini
web page: http://gis.fem-environment.eu/rocchini/