[GRASS-user] v.in.ogr and g.region trouble coordenate

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Thu Oct 21 16:47:50 EDT 2010

On 10/21/2010 10:19 PM, Ricardo Rodríguez wrote:
> hello.
> how to make g.region and v.in.ogr use the same projection that an
> incoming file. since at run-d g.region v.in.ogr and maintaining the
> coordinates but not the coordinate system, given the same coordinate
> system of the lease, what should I do to keep your incoming file
> coordinate system .

Maybe to clear up some concepts.
First your GRASS Location should be created from the start with the
*same* Coordinate system as the incoming files. GRASS checks that the
incoming file and the LOCATION CRS are the same.
Second, g.region does not alter the projection or coordinate system.
(Only the *region*; that is the current X-Y bounds).
Third, it's possible to have GRASS ignore the coordinate system of the
input file by using the -c option to v.in.ogr. But you should use this
option *only* if you know for sure that the LOCATION CRS and the
incoming file CRS are the same.
Fourth, if the input file has a properly defined CRS, you can use
v.in.ogr to create a whole new LOCATION based on that CRS. See the
'location=' parameter.

--
Micha

> thanks for your help and attention