[GRASS-user] Re: GRASS Promotion Team

Milena Nowotarska do.milenki at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 06:35:12 EDT 2010

Hi Carlos, Micha et al.

Anyone who has a vision of a new catchy GRASS brochure, flayer or even
video commercial [1] is kindly asked to stood up and join the GRASS
Promotion Team [2].
We just gained a new contributor who is willing to proofread english
and german documents, welcome Daniel!
All the existing promotion materials are listed on the appropriate
wiki page [3].

Carlos Grohmann wrote:
>> I'm in, am I am comfortable with LaTeX, although maybe we could think
>> on using some illustration program, like Inkscape to make the poster
>> and folders.

Does Inkscape produce large files? I am asking because we already have
a very nice poster [4], translated to several languages, which weights
about 9MB for each language. Since it needs to be updated for every
GRASS stable release, Martin proposed to rewrite it in LaTeX to share
at least the graphics. If you could rewrite it for one language, I can
use the LaTeX layout and catch up with other languages.

I think the software we will use for promotional materials is to be
discussed. For sure LaTeX will be the lightest and good to deal with
localization but it will not gain many contributors. For smaller
materials than the poster we might use other solutions.
Chip has proposed Scribus [5]. Since my knowledge of Scribus is that
it exists, I am going to read & try and waiting for your opinions.

[1] http://grass.osgeo.org/grass_movie_CERL_1987/
[2] http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_promotion_team
[3] http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Promotional_material
[4] http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Promotional_material#GRASS_Poster
[5] http://www.scribus.net/

Micha Silver wrote:
> Hello Milena:
> Maybe it's time for an article in the OSGeo Journal focusing on GRASS for
> Windows users?

Good idea, I am thinking about that and actually I am writing
something in Polish now. Some of the ideas might be true for the whole
world, too. Would you mind to co-author?

Best,
Milena
--
Milena Nowotarska