[GRASS-user] Re: GRASS Promotion Team

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Oct 25 03:49:09 EDT 2010

Hi,

I am just commenting on the software.

Inkscape is a vector graphics editor based on SVG (for single pages
currently), similar to Illustrator or CorelDraw (although those may also
support multipage documents).

Inkscape, does not, per se produce large files if you stay with text and
vector graphics. The files can only get large if you embed a lot of raster
graphics. Embedding raster files can result in large files.

Scribus is more a DTP software than a graphics editor, similar to InDesign.

LaTeX is an entirely different beast with it's own strengths, best suited
for writing scientific papers and articles. I don't think it is very well
suited to design posters.

For posters, flyers, clipart and vector graphics I would go with Inkscape,
for multipage brochures I would go with Scribus and for manuals I would go
with LaTeX.

Btw: Inkscape can be used to produce and edit vector graphics that can
later be embedded in Scribus (as SVG) and in LaTeX (I think best as PDF or
PNG, or maybe also SVG in more recent versions).

Andreas

Andreas Neumann
http://www.carto.net/neumann/
http://www.svgopen.org/