[GRASS-user] Re: Fw: Problem while loading a DEM map in NVIZ...

nikmor nikhil_morajkar at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 29 02:06:39 EDT 2010

hello friends....

I have been trying to convert a contour map to DEM map. First I opened
Spearfish Location and imported the contour map(this map is of Powai
city-Mumbai, India) using v.in.ogr and creating a new location by name IITBP
and having set the -o option for overriding projection. But while doing that
I got the following warning :
driver: dbf
database: $GISDBASE/$LOCATION_NAME/$MAPSET/dbf/
But the location got created successfully.
After this I exited Spearfish  location and entered IITBP location. I just
saw the region settings by g.region -m and found:

n=19.1431633152778
s=19.1237958119444
w=72.9004772163889
e=72.9195980877778
nsres=107.19300143
ewres=100.58320921
rows=20
cols=20
cells=400

After this I plotted the contour map which got displayed properly on the
display window.(According to me importing the map was correct because it got
displayed properly).

Now inorder to use "r.surf.contour" I had to first convert it to raster map
using "v.to.rast".

After running v.to.rast I got the resulting raster map to be faded(may be
because of the resolution).Therefore I changed the Grid resolution of 2d to
"0.00001" using the g.region command and re-run the v.to.rast command. Now
when I plotted this raster file it was displayed on monitor perfectly. Now
keeping the same resolution but zooming a small portion of the raster map
(raster contour map) I ran the command "r.surf.contour". This command
executed successfully and the raster map is visible in the monitor. But when
i try to view this map using NVIZ it gives error saying: """"loading
failed"""

I am new to GRASS somebody please help me to solve this problem.

Thanks in advance......