[GRASS-user] g.extension not working

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 1 14:52:49 EDT 2010

Daniel Victoria wrote:
> I just issued "make install" and installed grass65 at
> /usr/local/grass-6.5.svn. Now, g.extension tries to install
> r.stream.order but complains about permissions. Taking ownership of
> the install dir fixes the problem. So, what would be the "correct" way
> to use g.extension, run grass as root or take ownership of the install
> dir?

Maybe you could just ignore the install-related error messages and
check if r.stream.order is available when you are running grass
"straight from the build directory (start script at
./bin.i686-pc-linux-gnu and binaries at ./dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu)"

In this case, i.e. running grass from the build directory, you could
download any addon to the appropriate directory, run make and it
should be available (not sure about manuals though, which are
important...) when running grass from the build directory.

Otherwise, if you installed grass as root (make install as root), you
most probably also have to install addons as root.

HTH,

Markus M