[GRASS-user] Re: Installing spgrass6 package - Errors and warnings

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sun Sep 12 06:16:46 EDT 2010

Please see comments inline below. Please also consider the list for GRASS and
statistics, which specifically handles the GRASS-R interface. Also always
explain how you install software - assuming that software is installed
binary is not safe, as it leads (especially for Ubuntu/Debian users) to
dependency hell - dependencies undeclared by packages that intermediate
users may not know that they need when using interfaces between systems.
Installing everything from source always exposes missing dependencies, but
installing binaries doesn't show them, because the installed software is not
expected to interface with other software.

Chethan S. wrote:

> Hello everybody!
>
> I am using GRASS 6.4.0 RC6 in ubuntu 10.04. I installed R version 2.11.1
> (2010-05-31) just today. As I need GRASS and R interface for my work, I
> went
> ahead as per instructions in
> http://www.osgeo.org/files/journal/final_pdfs/OSGeo_vol1_GRASS-R.pdf.
>
> Initially when I started R from within GRASS and tried the command I got
> the
> following errors:
>> install.packages("spgrass6", dependencies = TRUE)
> Warning in install.packages("spgrass6", dependencies = TRUE) :
>   argument 'lib' is missing: using '/usr/local/lib/R/site-library'
> Warning in install.packages("spgrass6", dependencies = TRUE) :
>   'lib = "/usr/local/lib/R/site-library"' is not writable
> Would you like to create a personal library
> '~/R/i486-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.11'
> to install packages into?  (y/n) n
> Error in install.packages("spgrass6", dependencies = TRUE) :
>   unable to install packages
>> q()
>
> <COMMENT> You need to understand how your binary install of R handles the
> installation of additional contributed packages. Your choice of "no" to
> the question:
>
> Would you like to create a personal library?
>
> is the wrong answer. You should NEVER run anything sudo, ever, unless
> doing system work - adding contributed packages is NOT system work. Read
> the explanation that comes with your R distribution about personal
> libraries, and allow one to be created. I'm not familiar with this
> distribution, so I don't know if it adds the path to any created personal
> library to the library search path, but if things work from then on, we
> can assume that they do work.
>
> Try install.packages("XML") first, and get that working - you have missing
> dependencies that you need to provide. Then install.packages("rgdal")
> using Micha's good advice to add at least the Ubuntu development package -
> probably also for proj, not just libgdal, by the way, there are some
> comments in the rgdal README file (under inst/ in the source package).
> From there, spgrass6 will install.
>
> </COMMENT>
>
> Later I started R using "sudo R" and then the following errors and
> warnings
> occurred.
>
>> install.packages("spgrass6", dependencies = TRUE)
> Warning in install.packages("spgrass6", dependencies = TRUE) :
>   argument 'lib' is missing: using '/usr/local/lib/R/site-library'
> --- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
> also installing the dependencies ‘rgdal’, ‘XML’
>
> trying URL 'http://mirror.kapook.com/cran/src/contrib/rgdal_0.6-28.tar.gz'
> Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 1416605 bytes (1.4 Mb)
> opened URL
> downloaded 1.4 Mb
>
> trying URL 'http://mirror.kapook.com/cran/src/contrib/XML_3.1-1.tar.gz'
> Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 779143 bytes (760 Kb)
> [...]

-----
Roger Bivand
Economic Geography Section
Department of Economics
Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration
Helleveien 30
N-5045 Bergen, Norway