[GRASS-user] Re: Download the new release 6.4.0

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sun Sep 12 06:23:10 EDT 2010

Hamish:

Are you (or more likely the OSGeo4W developers) aware of:

http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#Building-R-for-64_002dbit-Windows

which is now up and running nicely?

Roger

hamish-2 wrote:

> kapo coulibaly wrote:
>> Is there a 64 bit version for windows?
>
> unfortunately not- until our build toolchain (minGW, Msys,
> osgeo4w) supports it, or we release grass 7 which is free
> from some of those shackles, we're pretty much stuck at 32
> bit on Windows. If you have to work with massive datasets,
> perhaps installing e.g. Ubuntu 64bit in a VirtualBox virtual
> machine inside Vista/Windows7 64 bit could get you going?(?)
> Either that or find a Mac or Linux to work on. :-/
>
> my guess is that mingw and co. will get 64 bit before
> too long though. obviously there's demand for it.
>

> Hamish

-----
Roger Bivand
Economic Geography Section
Department of Economics
Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration
Helleveien 30
N-5045 Bergen, Norway