[GRASS-user] Two questions re 6.4 and OSX 10.4

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Sep 13 19:06:06 EDT 2010

If you mean, install 6.4.0 without overwriting 6.4 RCs:

After you "make", don't "make install".  Instead "make bindist".  After it creates the Mac installer package, it leaves a full copy in macosx/dist (the staging area for creating the installer package), which you can move to whereever you like (or rename it).

If you mean, install GRASS 6.4.x without overwriting 6.3, then that's not a problem since the applications are named with the major.minor version.

Note that existing builds of Qgis.app will still use the older GRASS install, because of library linking, and setting the GRASS_GIS_BASE in Qgis to try to make it use the newer GRASS will only cause trouble.  Qgis must be rebuilt to use the newer GRASS.