[GRASS-user] Re: which file do I use? .adf files

A. Marcia BARBOSA anamarciabarbosa at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 09:59:07 EDT 2010

Hi everyone,

I had a similar problem recently, and made a nasty mistake for not
paying enough attention. I had to import one of these arc rasters to
GRASS, and used r.in.gdal. I also knew that it had to be a .adf file,
but there were quite a few of those in the folder. I tried the first
one (dblbnd.adf ) and it worked -- a normal-looking and correctly
placed map was imported, so I just stopped looking and went on with
the analysis. Later on, I found out that the values on the map weren't
right -- for my region of interest they were about 3 times higher than
the original values in the arc raster... The "good" one turned out to
be the largest file in the folder (w001001.adf) -- Daniel's suggestion
was thus wise. I think the dblbnd.adf is the same map with some kind
of colour stretch to make it look better... But it gets imported as a
normal map, and the colours are turned into (false) values that can
easily deceive us.

I didn't find a way to import complete folders (for cases like this)
with r.in.gdal; is there one?

Cheers,
Márcia