[GRASS-windows] Re: [GRASS-user] Re: v.in.ascii fails with long text file in WinGRASS-6.4.0-1

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Sep 22 06:08:54 EDT 2010

Markus Neteler wrote:

> > Still not entirely clear to me which variable I am supposed to set in order
> > to get full English messages.
>
> In a shell, it would be
>
> export LANG=en_US
> export LANGUAGE=en_US
> export LC_MESSAGES=en_US

Replace "en_US" with "C".

We don't provide message catalogues for (any dialect of) English; we
just use the untranslated strings.

The "C" locale doesn't use translations, while en_US would perform
translations using an en or en_US catalogue (if one existed; if the
catalogue doesn't exist, the untranslated strings are output).

Ideally, you should use:

	export LC_ALL=C

if you intend to post the output. This provides "unlocalised"
behaviour for all categories (no message catalogues, ASCII encodings,
case conversion rules, etc).

GRASS itself only uses the LC_MESSAGES and LC_CTYPE categories, and
forces LC_NUMERIC to "C" (so that floating-point values use a dot
rather than a comma as the decimal separator). LC_CTYPE determines the
encoding and case conversion rules. However, some libraries might use
other categories (in particular, Python sets LC_CTYPE from the
environment, which why we force it back to "C" in G_gisinit()).