[GRASS-user] converting lines to polygons

Bryan Keith bryan at ideotrope.org
Thu Sep 23 11:42:20 EDT 2010

>>> If it's only two missing, then just manually add centroids to those two
>>> areas that are not yet polygons. (using v.digit)
>>>
>> Well, it's two in this simple little example clipped from a larger file,
>> and I have lots of files to process so I'm looking for an automated
>> process.
>>

> Can you figure out why other areas were not closed? Maybe you need a
> larger threshold value?
> By opening the vector with v.digit you'll see by the color coding of the
> nodes which are part of closed boundaries (dark green) and which are on
> a "broken" boundary (red).
> You'll also see quickly where you have centroids inside correct
> boundaries, and where you're missing them.

No, I can't figure out why the other areas were not closed.  A larger
threshold value does not help.  I have never used v.digit, and I actually
can't get anything to display with v.digit  Hmmm, I'm not sure what I'm
doing wrong with v.digit

I would be nice to be able to see where nodes aren't connected (I'm
guessing that's the problem) and be able to measure how far apart they are
from each other.  I'm surprised how increasing the threshold makes some
boundaries that were correct incorrect.