[GRASS-user] converting lines to polygons

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 27 14:29:34 EDT 2010

Micha Silver wrote:
> Bryan Keith wrote:
>>>
>>>     Orange boundaries are duplicates - overlapping lines - that GRASS
>>> topology doesn't allow.
>>> You should be able to get rid of these with:
>>> "v.clean in=... out=... tool=break,bpol,rmdupl"
>>> But I've never had good luck with this.
>>> The alternative that might work better for you:
>>> Re-import the layer from the original shapefiles (or where ever they
>>> came from) but use the "type=line" option to v.in.ogr. (No centroids
>>> will be created)
>>> Now do v.clean on this new GRASS vector, using tool=snap,break,rmdupl.
>>> Next use
>>> "v.type ... type=line,boundary"
>>> to convert the (cleaned) lines to boundaries, and then
>>> "v.centroids ... opt=add"
>>> to create area centroids inside each closed boundary.
>>>

>> Micha,
>>
>> Yes, thank you, that worked!  Here's what I did:
>>

> Cheers.
> Although I think I misled you a bit. I was mistaken about the orange line
> color in the digitizer. It simply indicates a boundary that is wholly shared
> by two adjacent areas. *Not* a topological error.
> In any case, importing polygon shapefiles first as lines (not boundaries),
> doing the topology cleanup, and then convert to boundaries and add centroids
> seems to be the smoother way to go.

I object because

1. you would need to replicate the cleaning steps done by v.in.ogr
which has, amongst others, a snapping option

2. adding centroids will add centroids to all areas, also those that
where holes in polygons provided by OGR, e.g. a waterbodies shapefile
with lakes and islands in lakes: the islands are not waterbodies and
should not get a centroid

3.  you will loose attributes because there is no (easy) way to link
any attributes coming with the shapefile to newly generated centroids,
e.g. land cover/land use shapefiles

Markus M