[GRASS-user] converting lines to polygons

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 28 04:00:18 EDT 2010

Micha Silver:

http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/html64_user/v.in.ogr.html

> Still, importing unclean shapefile polygons, and correcting the topology is
> often accompanied by much hair pulling...

Unfortunately yes. If data providers would only provide clean data...

I have partially good news: v.in.ogr in 6.4.1 and above is faster and
produces cleaner and smaller output. Further on, it shows progress
when cleaning polygons, indicating that something is happening.
Previously (up to 6.4.0), it went silent for quite some time on larger
polygon imports which annoyed me considerably, I want to see that
something is happening.

Markus M