[GRASS-user] help with v.db.update

Sharon M morrisxs09 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 02:36:13 EDT 2011

I'm trying to update an attribute table column using v.db.update with
the DBF driver and keep getting a dbmi: Protocol error message.

Example using Spearfish

g.copy vect=fields,myfields

v.db.addcol myfields col="polynum integer"

v.db.select myfields where="label like 'V%'"
cat|label|polynum
59|V. White#1|

v.db.update myfields col=polynum val=42 where="label like 'V%'"
dbmi: Protocol error
ERROR: Error while executing: 'UPDATE myfields SET polynum=42 WHERE
label like V%
'

I've tried this on both winGrass 6.4 rc2 or winGrass 6.5 r45847 on
winXP using the wxGUI via both the v.db.update module and the wxgui
command line and get the same error issue.

What am I doing wrong? Can anyone help please?

Thanks in advance!