[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] Error with GRASS 6.4.1 on CentOS 5

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Apr 13 17:27:31 EDT 2011

Martin Landa wrote:

> > On CentOS 5 (and RHEL 5 and Scientific Linux 5), the python version is 2.4.3.
> > We use wxPython from the EPEL repository (version 2.8.11).
>
> python 2.4 doesn't support these kind of statements, it can be fixed by
>
> if if ignoredDelimiter is None:
>     ignoredDelimiter = ''
>
> done in r45959
>
> There is important question: shouldn't we change requirement from
> python 2.4 to python 2.5 [1].

I feel that we should support 2.4 unless doing so becomes particularly
burdensome. Lack of "x if t else y" doesn't qualify, IMHO.

> Beside reported issue, python 2.5 comes with ctypes included.

Regardless of version, we shouldn't assume the availability of ctypes.
The core wxGUI should work without it.

One of the main issues is that some systems remove ctypes for security
or reliability reasons. As a matter of policy, nothing in Python's
standard library uses ctypes.