[GRASS-user] river profile, how to

ambijat ambijat at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 18 06:35:48 EDT 2011

Thanks! All,
I developed a rather crude but a solid method. What I did was to
actually convert the river raster into vector with r.to.vect.points.
This automatically delivered me the altitude values for each point. Rest
is then reverse engineering.:-)

Then I opened the dbf file in openoffice calc and added a distance
column. I filled that column with the formula to add cumulative sum of
resolution at each row (== to raster resolution). This gave me distance
and altitude of each point.

Finally I plotted it nicely in chart of openoffice.
I think it was right approach. Any modifications?

regards,
Ambrish