e: [GRASS-user] v.edit break ERROR: Attempt to delete dead feature

Johannes Radinger JRadinger at gmx.at
Thu Apr 21 09:40:33 EDT 2011

Hello,

I just came over an error which was reported already some time ago:

Achim wrote:
>> I try to break a couple of lines on specified points (nodes in a network
>> to get separated lines).
>>
>> I do this with for one example-point successfully:
>> v.edit map=laflo_br... at achim layer=1 type=line tool=break ids=0-9999999
>>  thresh=-1,0.000001,0.000001 coords=32.6958333333333,8.67083333333333
>>
>> but doing this with a list of more than 6 coors or having the same coor
>> twice in the list,  I get the "Attempt to delete dead feature"-error.
>>
>> Is there a limiting number of coords for v.edit or is it something else?
>> What does grass try when it "Attempt to delete dead feature"

and the answer from Martin Landa:

>both reported issues are serious bugs of v.edit. Can you fill trac
>ticket for that? Just to avoid that it will forgotten. I will try to
>take a look ASAP.
>
>Martin

It seems that problem isn't fixed yet (I am working on 6.5SVN) and I tried
a python script like:
    points_coors = grass.read_command("v.db.select",
                      flags="c",
                      map="points",
                      fs=",",
                      columns="X,Y")
    points_coors = points_coors.replace("\n",",")

    grass.run_command("v.edit",
                      map="line",
                      tool="break",
                      coords=points_coors)

Is that bug still existing or am I doing something wrong?

If it is still a GRASS internal problem I'll do the break
point per point in a python-loop which is for sure not the
most elegant way to break a line at several points.

cheers
Johannes