[GRASS-user] Ability to model flash flooding

Ian Willis Ian.Willis at checksum.net.au
Thu Aug 4 06:36:51 EDT 2011

Hi All

To learn how to use grass I've been trying to solve a real world
problem. The problem that I chose was the flash flooding which occurred
in south eastern Queensland. I'd like to see if grass could have
provided reasonably accurate predictions and see if it could be used as
a warning system.

Ideally what I'd like to do is use the archived radar rainfall
information from http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR503.loop.shtml#skip
which can be found on http://gw.barratt.com.au/radar/IDR503/2011/01/10/

I am intending extrapolate the rainfall rate using the Z value
conversions recommended for east coast lows as per
http://www.catchment.crc.org.au/pdfs/technical200207.pdf

and then convert the rainfall rate rasters to the resolution of the
aster dem.

I believe that the CASC2D module was used for this process as aluded to
in
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.20.318&rep=rep1&type=pdf however it doesn't appear to be available in the current version of grass.
I was contemplating seeing if I could make it work however before
muddling along any further I thought that I'd ask for a bit advice. To
say the least I'm learning a lot about using grass but my knowledge is
still quite basic.
My background is on unix/linux systems so I find the environment
reasonably comfortable.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers Ian