[GRASS-user] Qn on using Grass on windows

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Aug 11 13:57:46 EDT 2011

One of the main goals of revamping the GUI, starting 5 years ago or so, was to make it possible to display maps on Windows, or any platform for that matter, without having to emulate antiquated graphics terminals.

The current display canvas in GRASS does this. You can display maps in this canvas by adding them to the map layer list in several ways:

1) picking them from a list with a mouse or trackpad
2) typing the name of the map if you can remember it or like to type
3) typing the display command in the GRASS command console (e.g., type "d.rast elevation.dem" for the Spearfish demo set), if you like commands.

As several people mentioned, you can also set the PNG driver to send display output to a file of your choice, type a display command at the msys command prompt and then look at the the graphic file with a viewer of some sort. The down side of this latter approach is that all you have is a graphic file of the map. You can't do any kind of GIS work on it.

If you display it in the GRASS display canvas, you can also do a lot with the visualization--zooming and panning, measurement, profiling, etc.

Michael
C. Michael Barton
Arizona State University

voice: 	480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-727-9746 (CSDC)
fax:          480-965-7671 (SHESC),  480-727-0709 (CSDC)