[GRASS-user] when was the first release of Grass 64 bit?

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Feb 2 12:49:44 EST 2011

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 5:40 PM,  <razmjooeis at faunalia.co.uk> wrote:
> I am reading through
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manifold_System
> It claims:
> "Release 7.00 was issued in May 2006 and followed up by Release 7x in the
> next three months. 7x was released in two flavors: 32-bit and 64-bit.
> Manifold 7x was the first ever 64-bit GIS application in the industry."

If we are not industry, maybe yes :p

Changelog:
http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/source/snapshot/ChangeLog.gz
        * added 64bit notes

        * advertise 64bit support if activated

No claim that I did the work of course! It was the effort of multiple
developers, just above traces I could easily find.

> Does any know when GRASS 64-bit was first released?

http://grass.osgeo.org/announces/announce_grass500pre2.html
GRASS GIS 5.0.0pre2 released 13 September 2001
"Platforms supported by GRASS:
Linux, Sun Solaris, Sun Solaris/Intel, Silicon Graphics Irix, HP-UX,
DEC-Alpha, PowerPC, MacOS X, AIX, BSD, CRAY and other UNIX compliant
platforms (32/64bit), experimentally Windows NT/2000 running Cygnus
"

... so that was way before 2006.

Markus