[GRASS-user] when was the first release of Grass 64 bit?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Feb 2 13:13:16 EST 2011

I don't think non-commercial enterprises get considered in "Industry"
sometimes. So the statement is sorta true from their perspective (though
not in reality). Also in the context of applications that run on a
Windows OS it wouldn't be surprising because there wasn't a stable 64
bit windows back then to use 64bit applications on. That's still
somewhat the case, Manifold is one of the only GIS applications that
runs on Windows that you can buy a 64bit version of.

As long as I can remember since I first installed GRASS and QGIS on my
Ubuntu box I've had 64bit versions running. I know for sure I can trace
that back to Breezy Badger in 2005. It's actually mirky further back
because I can't find a package list online for older versions of Debian
but my guess is they've had 64bit GRASS since the "2001" release
mentioned previously. So not sure when it went from, you can compile 64
bit to it's one-click installable as a package happened.

Thanks,
Alex