[GRASS-user] hotspot or heat map in GRASS

Dylan Beaudette debeaudette at ucdavis.edu
Fri Feb 4 11:43:15 EST 2011

On Friday, February 04, 2011, razmjooeis at faunalia.co.uk wrote:
> Dear all
>
> Does anyone have a tutorial or an example of how to create heatmaps or
> hotspots based on point density in GRASS.
>
> I tried to use v.kernel but not sure what some of the parameters mean?
> v.neighbor is straight forward but the output map is very coarse.

Hi,

v.kernel is the way to go, however its output will depend on a couple things:

1. region settings
2. the size of the kernel (in terms of standard deviation)
3. obviously, the point density

tinker around with those, starting with the region settings (e.g. the
resolution), then tinker with the standard deviation (in map units) option.

Cheers,
Dylan