[GRASS-user] r.terraflow for cost path analysis

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 6 06:05:40 EST 2011

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 12:05 AM, Colin Wren <colindwren at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Markus, but unfortunately this module won't work either. The
> direction surface of a cost surface analysis can't be re-created by a
> hydrology "drainage" steepest descent algorithm. This was why the -d
> flag was added (by me under a different name actually :) to r.cost,
> r.walk, and r.drain. It makes sense if you think about the elevation
> profile of a drainage algorithm path versus a walking algorithm path,
> the first makes an exponential curve while the second should make a
> linear path (roughly). You don't want to save up the hardest part of
> the hike for the end.

You're right. It would be too costly for a hiker to tackle a waterfall.

> Ideally I would need an algorithm which calculates accumulation from a
> direction map only. The cost surface itself is not needed. I was
> hoping a suite of hydrology modules would first calculate flow
> direction and then a second module would calculate flow accumulation
> from the direction. Maybe I'll just have to write an addon module for
> it if one doesn't exist.

Not that I know. For SFD-like drainage direction (each cell has only
one direction to follow), this should not be too hard. A simple FIFO
linked list of cells to process and some flag to check if a cell is in
the list could do the trick. I think there are also requests for such
functionality somewhere in the ml archive.

Markus M