[GRASS-user] Import/conversion problem

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Fri Feb 11 15:39:53 EST 2011

Hmm, something I've seen for a while (Mac only), and it didn't improve with the latest MrSID DSDK, is that there are errors in retrieving GCS info from a sid with GDAL - some parameters are reported wrong or dropped.  It hasn't been a problem for me since I usually know the projection of the SID and can override it in the conversion.

It looks like the MrSID DSDK tool mrsiddecode gets it right.

On Feb 11, 2011, at 1:08 PM, Adam Dershowitz, Ph.D., P.E. wrote:

> I am also working on OS X.  But, I am using the MrSID plugin, from William Kyngesburye.  So it seems that both gdalwarp and r.in.gdal are willing to import it.  But, maybe I will try to search around for the apps that you are referring to, to see if they might do a better job on the conversion.
> Are you suggesting that the MrSID plugin that I have is working, but is loosing reference data along the way?
>
> --Adam
>

> On Feb 11, 2011, at 10:47 AM, Stuart Edwards wrote:
>
>> MrSID files are a bit tricky.  This is a proprietary format owned by LizardTech (see http://www.gdal.org/frmt_mrsid.html).  That being said, they freely provide decode tools at their website (http://www.lizardtech.com/).  Working on OS X, I use their Raster_DSDK in a little command line routine to convert the file to a geotiff (tifg) and then import it into GRASS with r.in.gdal.  Note that the MrSID format is very efficient and boils a quad down to about 1.5 Gb.  This will become 3 or 4 times greater as a tif so make sure you have plenty of room to store it and process it.  I use an old version of Expressview (a LizardTech viewer that used to be available for OS X) to look at the image and determine the coordinates of the bit that I really want in order to minimize the resulting file sizes.
>>
>> AFAIK there are no open source apps that deal with MrSID directly (for those that do, you have to install your own version of the decoder first)
>>
>> Stu

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

First Pogril: Why is life like sticking your head in a bucket filled with hyena offal?
Second Pogril: I don't know.  Why IS life like sticking your head in a bucket filled with hyena offal?
First Pogril: I don't know either.  Wretched, isn't it?

-HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy