[GRASS-user] Re: v.kernel -- how to get useful results

Marcello Gorini gorini at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 13:15:23 EST 2011

> Aren said:
>Where is resolution adjusted?
>http://grass.fbk.eu/gdp/html_grass64/v.kernel.html doesn't make that clear.

GRASS works with the region concept. You can adjust any region settings with
the command g.region, like:

g.region res=desired_resolution -p

The -p is for you to see the resulting changes.

>Am I supposed to have a pre-made raster layer already that corresponds to
my
>vector layer?

No, you probably don't. I would suggest you play around with v.random to
create some random points and then use v.kernel to make the heat map. Do
that with different number points, stdev and resolutions to get the feel of
it.

Maybe in this way you will understand what is going on with your specific
case.

>I really appreciate your advice!

Any time! Sorry not to help you more.

>I'm not upset with the list, was just afraid this was too esoteric or
poorly stated.

I think I myself have been a little upset a few times when I did not get any
Brazil, so either I get upset or I get really happy :)

Cheers,
Marcello.