[GRASS-user] Generate 3D raster from two surfaces

grass at sundquist.imapmail.org grass at sundquist.imapmail.org
Mon Feb 21 09:00:33 EST 2011

I admit I am not a pro (but I have devoured both the 2nd and 3rd
editions of "the book", and have been using GRASS on and of for about 5
years now), but I am lost on this command.

Here is part of what I am trying to do:  Let's try showing just a 3D
raster of the space between the ground surface and the bottom (I have a
few otehr more intersting applications, too, but this is the simplest).

I put GTiff exports of these files here:
http://public.sundquist.imapmail.org/bottom_2.tif and
http://public.sundquist.imapmail.org/ground_surface.tif

I want to generate a 3D raster showing the space between these two
surfaces.

I tried running this command:

 r.to.rast3elev input=ground_surface,AREA_DSM
 elevation=ground_surface,AREA_DSM output=3d1

and got no errors but got essentially nothing:

r3.univar input=3d1 at PERMANENT
total null and non-null cells: 546
total null cells: 469
Of the non-null cells:
----------------------
n: 77
minimum: 1
maximum: 1
range: 0
mean: 1
mean of absolute values: 1
standard deviation: 0
variance: 0
variation coefficient: 0 %
sum: 77

I added to input files because when I tried just one, it said the number
of input and elevation files must match.  Note, I do not care about the
actual values in the 3D raster, just whether they are null or not.

Sorry if this is a basic question, but if I can get this generated, it
would be very helpful for explaining something to a client.

Thanks.

J.S.