[GRASS-user] Use of Postgres/PostGIS with GRASS

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Feb 24 18:05:25 EST 2011

   I'm starting a couple of large modeling/analytical projects and believe
it's time I understood when and how to store data in postgres and when to
use postgis. For the past dozen or so years I've applied GRASS to projects
all data have resided in the internal data formats. This is new territory
for me and I'd like to do it right from the beginning.

   My base data sets (statewide) include a postgres table with 110,852 rows
holding water well log data, and a set of (soon-to-be-imported)
hydrography/hydrologic units .shp files with associated .dbf attribute
tables.

   When it is appropriate to put all attribute data in postgres tables and
associate GRASS with those?

   When is it advisable to use postgis?

Rich