[GRASS-user] Use of Postgres/PostGIS with GRASS

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Feb 24 18:56:26 EST 2011

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011, Hamish wrote:

> my guess is that postgis would be better once you get to more than 1-3
> million vector data points and grass's vector engine memory requirements
> get too much.

Hamish,

   Ah, so. Good to know. I hope no project of mine has a single table with
that many vector nodes.

> unless of course you were hoping to learn more about postgis, in which
> case this sounds like a good opportunity.

   I'm not in this for fun, so if I don't need to learn postgis I won't.

   Guess I need to look at the v.db.* modules to learn how to have GRASS see
the well log data in the postgres table and import them to the project
directory.

Many thanks,

Rich