[GRASS-user] Setting Initial Projection/Bounds

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 25 21:46:32 EST 2011

Rich wrote:
>   Is the appropriate response for me to set up a suite of locations,
> one per projection, to initially import all data and then reproject
> them into a common location?

yes, but r.in.gdal and v.in.ogr have options to automatically create new
locations for you from the geodata file, so it isn't so much work as it
seems. after that use r.proj or v.proj to pull data into your location
containing the target projection.

> Or is there a more appropriate way to get all the disparate data into
> grass?

another way is to use GDAL/OGR tools to reproject the data before loading
into GRASS. I wouldn't say that is either better or worse, depends on your
data and your needs.

Hamish