[GRASS-user] v.generalize issues

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 1 03:18:44 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 7:49 PM, Christian Guirreri <guirreri at gmail.com> wrote:
> I suppose my other question is if anyone has any recommendations concerning
> v.generalize as it applies specifically to tiger data - I'm doing all of US.
> Lots of settings and tests and its a bit overwhelming for a newbie.

For simplification (vertex reduction), Douglas-Peucker is generally a
good choice, it's relatively simple and commonly used.

For smoothing, Chaiken's Algorithm and Hermite Interpolation should
produce quite different results, apart from being a matter of taste,
it depends on what kind of modifications are allowed.

Markus M