[GRASS-user] Identification of projectiopn?

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 06:52:01 EDT 2011

Hi

I have two shape files of which I do not know the projection (and it seems
that the person I got them from does not know either...). The maps are from
the Keurboom nature reserve area in South Africa (
http://plak.co.za/moreinfo.php?id=347) and the two shp files have the
folowing bounding boxes:

In layer spatial reference system units : xMin,yMin 21340.4,-3755528.75 :
xMax,yMax 34244.9,-3749187.87

In layer spatial reference system units : xMin,yMin 17001.2,-3754438.15 :
xMax,yMax 37019.9,-3743929.77

I know this is a guessing game, but it must be a common projection - the map
datum is very likely (almost certainly) WGS84.

Any suggestions welcome,

Rainer

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Stellenbosch University