[GRASS-user] Re: Error running GRASS from R

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Jul 19 13:30:40 EDT 2011

There is a specific list for R/GRASS questions:

I don't know how you you started the R session. I hope you started R within
a running GRASS session, as you seem to be using an existing location. You
mention using initGRASS() which you should never do with an existing
location, unless you really know what you are doing. You do not say whether
you have also used the execGRASS() wrapper from R to run the other commands,
or whether these were run from the command line. More information is needed
- such as does the same script work locally, or when run without the remote
desktop access on the faster computer.

Roger

Tim Besser wrote:

> Dear GRASS-community,
>
> I have a very strange problem. I created a script in R (2.10.1) for the
> preparation of my datasets which work fine on my laptop (winxp). I use
> the "spgrass6" package and GRASS 6.4.1. As the script would run for days
> on my old laptop I now got a remote desktop connection to a much faster
> computer at the university (win7). However, while cmds like r.reclass or
> r.in.gdal work on that computer the r.patch cmd produces following error:
>
> execGRASS("r.patch", flags=c("z"),
> parameters=list(input="mangroves_1989_138_044_LR_recl,mangroves_1989_138_045_UL_recl,mangroves_1989_138_045_UR_recl",
> output="testomat"), intern=T)
>
> Error in system(cmd0, intern = TRUE) :
>    Createprocess konnte 'C:\GRASS6~1.1\bin\RPATCH~1.EXE
> --interface-description' nicht ausführen
> Fehler in parseGRASS(cmd) : r.patch not found
>
> I checked the GRASS directory and it is set right in the initGRASS
> command.
>
> I hope you can help me with one. I have no clue what to do!
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Tim

-----
Roger Bivand
Economic Geography Section
Department of Economics
Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration
Helleveien 30
N-5045 Bergen, Norway