[GRASS-user] r.to.vect error message

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Jul 27 09:34:18 EDT 2011

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011, Rebecca Bennett wrote:

> Thanks fro replying. Hmm no I'm using the standard 6.4.1 distro on Ubuntu
> 10.4 :(

Rebecca,

   The distribution and GRASS version has nothing to do with it.

> Can I work round this? I don't really have time to build GRASS 7 on this
> machine...

   Yep. I've no idea if there's a Ubuntu repository that installs a pre-built
GRASS. If there is, it's probably built without the large file option. If
so, see if you can grab the source and look for '--enable-largefile' in the
configuration options. Otherwise, it will be worth your time to recompile
the source using that option. It will allow GRASS to use the available
memory on your machine rather than the default (which I believe is 64M).

   This is one reason why building from source (or using a package manager
that lets you build on your local machines) is a good idea. Not everyone
needs the options you do, and your hardware is not the same as everyone
else's. Building your applications using your server/workstation ensures
that they work for you.

Hope this helps,

Rich