[GRASS-user] ARC/GIS, AutoCAD, and What GRASS Sees

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Jul 27 11:47:50 EDT 2011

   From a client I received a bunch of shapefiles exported from ARC/GIS
(release unknown). Copying them from PERMANENT to a project mapset, for each
one I see messages like this:

HINT:  Use the escape string syntax for backslashes, e.g., E'\\'.
WARNING:  nonstandard use of \\ in a string literal
LINE 1: ...00007', 1, 0, 0, 1, 'PROPERTY_BOUNDARY_2010.DXF', '\\\\AFILE...
                                                              ^
HINT:  Use the escape string syntax for backslashes, e.g., E'\\'.
WARNING:  nonstandard use of \\ in a string literal
LINE 1: ...00008', 1, 0, 0, 1, 'PROPERTY_BOUNDARY_2010.DXF', '\\\\AFILE...
                                                              ^
   It appears to me that the original CAD drawings in autoCAD remain within
their ARC/GIS system without topology. Instead, they're a collection of
lines and polygons.

   Have I any reason to be concerned about using these data in GRASS models?
Is there anything I should do to clean up or improve these maps before using
them? No other source has provided me with such data, but I know they use
their ARC/GIS only to produce pretty maps, not for any modeling or analyses.

Rich