[GRASS-user] If not v.overlay, what?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jul 29 09:42:19 EDT 2011

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011, Micha Silver wrote:

> Use "AND" not "OR".
> OR=Union, that is combining all features of both vectors
> AND=Intersection, that is, just areas or lines covered by both vectors

Micha,

   That's correct, and 'AND' will exclude those portions of the drainage
basins that extend past the property boundary. That's why I used 'OR' to get
all points within both the basins and the property. Two extremes. :-) What
I'd like to do is select only those basins that intersect the property, but
all of those basins, and get rid of the other 4200+ basins that are
irrelevant to the analyses.

   I seem to have issues with client- and agency-provided data on my
projects. But, once I successfully make the data available to grass and
define the appropriate computational and display regions, the modeling goes
more smoothly.

Thanks,

Rich