[GRASS-user] Compiling GRASS in 64bits- Windows

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Jun 17 12:25:51 EDT 2011

Luisa Peña wrote:

> Is it possible to compile GRASS in 64bits in windows?

I don't know of any reason why it wouldn't work, but it's not as if
the code has been extensively audited. Most of the code is common to
all platforms, and it works on 64-bit Linux and MacOSX. But the only
way to know for sure is if someone actually tries it.

> I know that MingW only works on 32bits.

There is a 64-bit version, but it's not as well tested:

	http://mingw-w64.sourceforge.net/

Unfortunately, MSVC Express Edition (the free version) doesn't include
64-bit support.

I should soon be getting a new Windows system with Windows 7 64-bit,
so I'll try building GRASS on it at some point (but getting everything
installed and configured is likely to take some time).