[GRASS-user] startup with non-interactive batch jobs... failed

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Tue Jun 21 12:54:56 EDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-06-21 at 16:30 +0900, sgw00412 at nifty.com wrote:
> Dear grass user
>
> I'm a beginner of grass and linux...
>
> I tried startup with non-interactive batch jobs.
> I don't understand why (1) succeeded and (2) failed...
> Is the reason linux permissin ?
>

> (1) starup with -text
> ...succeeded
>
> LOCATION:   newLocation_a____________  (enter list for a list of locations)
> MAPSET:     PERMANENT________________  (or mapsets within a location)
> DATABASE: /home/shimada/mygis_________________________________________________
> _
>            AFTER COMPLETING ALL ANSWERS, HIT <ESC><ENTER> TO CONTINUE
>                             (OR <Ctrl-C> TO CANCEL)
>

> (2) startup with non-interactive batch jobs
>
> ...failed.
>
> home$ LOCATION=/home/shimada/mygis/newLocation_a/PERMANENT

This is unnecessary

> home$ GISDBASE=/home/shimada/mygis
> home$ LOCATION_NAME=newLocation_a
> home$ MAPSET=PERMANENT

You need to 'export' each of these variables. i.e.
home$ export GISDBASE=/home/shimada/mygis
and so on for the others.

You probably want to look at the wiki page on running GRASS commands
without starting it explicitly:
http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Working_with_GRASS_without_starting_it_explicitly