[GRASS-user] wave energy model

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 29 21:14:05 EDT 2011

Salvatore wrote:
> I want to know if exist any application in grass for
> measure the wave energy for a given location. In particular
> I'm working on the Campania Region (Italy).

Yes, I use GRASS with the SWAN wave model. (free/GPL, from Delft)
http://www.swan.tudelft.nl/

search the mailing list archives for hints on that.

you will need wind + offshore wave data for inputs, along with
good bathymetry <100m and good topography to get the slope of the
beaches right.

for boundary and climatological conditions, a global archive of
global wind+wave model output from the US Navy:
waves:  ftp://usgodae.org/pub/outgoing/fnmoc/models/ww3/
winds:  ftp://usgodae.org/pub/outgoing/fnmoc/models/nogaps/
files are in GRIB format. Grab the +0000 hr forecast (first on
the list) in each date.

for 1999-2009 QuikSCAT is a good source of satellite observed
winds at 1/2 deg resolution.

Hamish