[GRASS-user] Determining Datum From Projection Coordinates [SOLVED]

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Mar 3 14:53:04 EST 2011

On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 06:15:39AM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> flavor, containing:
> On Wed, 2 Mar 2011, Michael Perdue wrote:
>
> > Hate to be a wet blanket, but both NAD27 and NAD83 UTM coordinates are
> > supposed to be in meters.
>
> Michael,
>
>    It's been quite a while but I recall data in NAD27 having units of feet.

This is true of State Plane Coordinate Systems in NAD27, but not UTM.

FWIW, it looks like since your lat/lons are specified at such low precision,
the NAD27/NAD83 datum shift might be irrelevant.

Of course, the *best* way to determine the datum would be to query the agency
that produced the data...

 "The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."