[GRASS-user] Some thoughts on wxGUI (GRASS Community Sprint)

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 8 16:44:49 EST 2011

Carlos wrote:
> v.plane - I think the azimuth option here should be
> compass-oriented

For decades GRASS has used cartesian theta (CCW from positve
x-axis) as the azimuth origin, not CW from north as used in
compass orientation. there is no right or wrong answer here,
so historical choices win. the mathematicians got to it first
that's all.

n.b. in the new v.in.geodesic module*, CW from North is used for
az, as it is in r.transect. simply because that's what `geod`
wants and I didn't spend the effort to invert it.
(* along with v.mkgrid, I wonder how to better name these in gr7)

Hamish