[GRASS-user] Some thoughts on wxGUI (GRASS Community Sprint)

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Mar 9 15:56:02 EST 2011

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 6:20 PM, stephen sefick <sas0025 at auburn.edu> wrote:
> On Mar 8, 2011, at 8:46 AM, Martin Landa wrote:
>> 2011/3/7 Carlos Grohmann <carlos.grohmann at gmail.com>:
>> Anyway creating separate
>> window is not good solution, the more windows the worse for the user.
>>

> Less Windows.  I suggest at most three and preferably two- The layer
> manager, Map Window, and "if you have to" a command window.  I normally have
> a text editor to script in open at the same time, and even with a second
> monitor this arrangment gets cluttered.

I agree with that (since I have already another tons of windows already open).
I have put a proposal here:

http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/WxGUI#General_GUI_Design
-> Proposal for wxGUI layout modification (Recomposition of existing toolbars,
   mapview and menus)

which is essentially trapping the individual wxGUI windows in a single one.
At least optionally...

Markus