[GRASS-user] GRASS 6.4.1RC1 wxPython problems on Solaris

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Mar 10 05:14:56 EST 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Ulli Wölfel <uwoelfel at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Today I compiled GRASS 6.4.1RC1 on Solaris 10 (SPARC) and encountered some
> problems with the wxPython-based GUI. When I try to open a preferences
> Dialog in Layer Manager, I get some error output (see further below) and
> nothing happens. This error also existed in version 6.4.0 and seems to be
> related to the following posts:
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/882
> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-user/2011-February/059569.html
>
> My desktop is configured for a German locale and UTF-8. However, when
> entering "r.cost --interface-description", I get "<?xml version="1.0"
> encoding="646"?>" - so this might be something specific to Solaris.

I have searched and found
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java/2001-05/msg00111.html
"It's the default encoding for the "C" locale."

Found also something about "charset.alias"
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/unix/charset.html

I wonder if you have any charset.alias file on your Solaris system which
could be tuned.

Markus