[GRASS-user] GRASS 6.4.1RC1 wxPython problems on Solaris

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Mar 10 10:03:00 EST 2011

Ulli Wölfel wrote:

> Today I compiled GRASS 6.4.1RC1 on Solaris 10 (SPARC) and encountered
> some problems with the wxPython-based GUI. When I try to open a
> preferences Dialog in Layer Manager, I get some error output (see
> further below) and nothing happens. This error also existed in
> version 6.4.0 and seems to be related to the following posts:
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/882
> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-user/2011-February/059569.html
>
> My desktop is configured for a German locale and UTF-8. However, when
> entering "r.cost --interface-description", I get "<?xml version="1.0"
> encoding="646"?>" - so this might be something specific to Solaris.

The encoding is obtained from nl_langinfo(CODESET). In this case,
"646" is probably used as a shorthand for ISO-646, which specifies
ASCII as well as national variants. I suspect that Python doesn't
accept "646" as a valid encoding.

Was GRASS configured with the --with-nls switch? If not, it will
operate in the "C" locale, which uses ASCII.