[GRASS-user] db.connect/db.in.ogr Questions

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 10 18:47:04 EST 2011

Rich wrote:
>   My postgres tables are in
> /usr/local/pgsql/data/. My GRASS database is in
> ~/grassdata/. Since the water well log table did not want
> to cleanly import with v.in.ascii using the default dbf
> driver/database, I'll use the postgres table.

set 'g.gisevn set="DEBUG=5"' to find the data line it dies on,
if you don't already know that. (empty records was it?)

>   db.connect wants a driver name (pg), and the
> database name (Default:
> $GISDBASE/$LOCATION_NAME/$MAPSET/dbf/). The database name
> is 'nevada' and
> the table I want to use is 'water_well'. What syntax should
> I use for db.connect?

from the help page:
db.connect driver=pg database="host=myserver.itc.it,dbname=mydb"
db.login user=myname [pass=secret]
db.connect -p
db.tables -p

so maybe like database="host=localhost,dbname=nevada" ?

>   db.in.ogr has an example for importing a postgres table.
> What I don't see is how I tell GRASS that it's the last two
> columns, utm_easting and utm_northing, that should be used as
> the geographic points?

db.in.* is for importing DBs as DBs, not DBs as vector maps.
try v.in.db for that.   or maybe db.out.ogr + v.in.ogr?

note that db.in.ogr is just a wrapper script.

Hamish