[GRASS-user] db.connect/db.in.ogr Questions

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Fri Mar 11 04:43:05 EST 2011

On 03/11/2011 02:01 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, Hamish wrote:
>
>> set 'g.gisevn set="DEBUG=5"' to find the data line it dies on,
>> if you don't already know that. (empty records was it?)
>
> Hamish,
>
>   Already did that and posted the results. The suggestion was to use the
> postgres table and ignore the dbf table.
>
>> so maybe like database="host=localhost,dbname=nevada" ?
>
>   I was thinking of trying this.
>
>> try v.in.db for that.
>
>   Ah, so. I'll read the v.in.db manual page.

Also make sure you're clear on the distinction in GRASS between the
geography of vector layers and their attributes. GRASS always stores the
vector geography in it's own internal format (enforcing topology, etc)
and there's no need from GRASS's point of view to have the X-Y
coordinates in the attribute table.
Attributes can be stored in any of several ways. But this is totally
independent of the geography.  So you can first set up the default
database connection, as Hamish explained, to be postgres. Then whenever
you import vector data, the geography will still be kept internally by
GRASS, and the attribute columns will be pushed into Postgres. Whether
or not the final Postgres database has X-Y columns is irrelevant to
GRASS handling the vectors. You might want that data kept in the table
for your own needs, but GRASS doesn't look there.

Cheers,
Micha

> Thanks,
>
> Rich