[GRASS-user] db.out.ogr: Syntax Correction

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Mar 11 14:57:08 EST 2011

   I want to migrate attribute data from the internal dbf to an external
postgres table and thought that db.out.ogr was the proper module. However,
following the example on the 6.5 manual page does not work for me.

   Manually breaking lines that were continuous in the terminal, he example shows:

db.out.ogr points_tab dsn="PG:host=localhost dbname=postgres user=neteler" \
  format=PostgreSQL
echo "SELECT * FROM points_tab" | psql postgres

   What I tried:

GRASS 6.5.svn (Nevada-aea):~/grassdata > db.out.ogr at_risk_species \
   dsn="PG:host=localhost dbname=nevada" format=PostgreSQL \
   echo "SELECT * FROM at_risk_species" | psql nevada
Sorry <echo> is not a valid option
Sorry <SELECT * FROM at_risk_species> is not a valid option
Error in usage. Call b.out.ogr --help for assistance.

   Then I tried just the first line of the command:

GRASS 6.5.svn (Nevada-aea):~/grassdata > db.out.ogr at_risk_species
dsn="PG:host=localhost dbname=nevada" format=PostgreSQL
WARNING: The map contains islands. To preserve them in the output map, use
          the -c flag
WARNING: 13 boundary(ies) found, but not requested to be exported. Verify
          'type' parameter.
WARNING: 13 centroid(s) found, but not requested to be exported. Verify
          'type' parameter.
WARNING: 13 areas found, but not requested to be exported. Verify 'type'
          parameter.
WARNING: No points found, but requested to be exported. Will skip this
          geometry type.
WARNING: Nothing to export
Exported table <at_risk_species>

   Please tell me what I've missed here.