[GRASS-user] GRASS plugin

Soeren Gebbert soerengebbert at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 21 19:28:39 EDT 2011

Hello,
IMHO the WPS (web processing service) approach to use GRASS GIS within
QGIS might be a better solution? All the location, projection and
mapset overhead would be avoided and the integration into QGIS would
be more intuitive. Additionally using the WPS approach will also make
Sextante, ArcGIS and other geo processing capabilities available in
QGIS. Also cloud geo processing will be available using this approach.
I would suggest to largely improve the existing WPS plugin from Horst
Düster (and partially me) to make QGIS to one of the best WPS clients
available.

Here an example of the capabilities of the current WPS QGIS - GRASS
GIS 7 approach:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCnax9w1bCs

As far as i know the grass libraries are not designed to be used in
long running persistent applications, so there will always be problems
and a large effort migrating new GRASS GIS versions in QGIS. A WPS
client would be completely independent from changes in GRASS GIS API
or modules and will work with many other WPS backends.

Just my 2C
Sören