[GRASS-user] Re: Issues With ArcGIS Data Files

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue May 10 06:50:56 EDT 2011

On Tue, 10 May 2011, Patrick S. wrote:

> In case you don't know: .lyr is the layout-fileformat of ArcGIS. It will
> thus "only" contain colorinformation for visualisation of the layers, but
> no data and might not be essential for your work.

patrick,

   I didn't know because since leaving a consulting company where I used
PC-ARC/Info in 1989 I've not used anything ESRI.

   My Google searches suggested that the .lyr files held labels and not
having them available (this was in a qgis forum) made the display ugly. I
suspect that all my client's data are in vector format and a lot of it will
need to be rasterized for use in modeling. Since GRASS provides its own
color I guess that I don't need to be concerned about the layer files.

Thanks for the insights,

Rich