[GRASS-user] v.in.ogr G_realloc error

spiderplant0 spiderplant0 at gmail.com
Wed May 11 10:19:50 EDT 2011

Hi, when I try to import a shapefile into GRASS I get this error message:
G_realloc: unable to allocate 18440000 bytes at struct_alloc.c:133

Command used:
v.in.ogr -o dsn=E:/temp/MSOA_AUG_2004_EW_BGC.shp output=eng_wales_osgb

If I use the '-c' option (dont clean polygons) I dont get the error but this
is no use as it results in some of the polygons going missing.
The shapefile is big but not that big and I can load the shapefile into
Quantum GIS and GMapCreator with no problems so I dont think there is
anything wrong with the shapefiles.
I have tried this with other shapefiles and projections and get a similar
error.
It also seems to be taking a very long time to import - literally hours.
I don't get the error with small shapfiles.
I'm using Windows7 64-bit, GRASS 6.4.0
Output log is pasted below.

Do you think this is an bug or is this not the correct way to import
shapefiles (I'm a GRASS complete beginner)?
Thanks.

v.in.ogr -o dsn=E:/temp/MSOA_AUG_2004_EW_BGC.shp output=eng_wales_osgb

Over-riding projection check

Layer: MSOA_AUG_2004_EW_BGC

?Default driver / database set to:

?driver: dbf

?database: $GISDBASE/$LOCATION_NAME/$MAPSET/dbf/

Importing map 7194 features...

Building topology for vector map ...

Registering primitives...
   1000   2000   3000   4000   5000
6000   7000
7794 primitives registered

4448785 vertices registered

Building areas...

7794 areas built

7793 isles built

Attaching islands...

Attaching centroids...

Number of nodes: 7793

Number of primitives: 7794

Number of points: 0

Number of lines: 0

Number of boundaries: 7794

Number of centroids: 0

Number of areas: 7794

Number of isles: 7793

Number of areas without centroid: 7794

?Cleaning polygons, result is not guaranteed!

Building topology for vector map ...

Number of nodes: 7793

Number of primitives: 7794

Number of points: 0

Number of lines: 0

Number of boundaries: 7794

Number of centroids: 0

Number of areas: -

Number of isles: -

Break polygons:

Remove duplicates:

Break boundaries:

Remove duplicates:

Clean boundaries at nodes:

Break boundaries:

?G_realloc: unable to allocate 19347180 bytes at struct_alloc.c:133
Finished with error